Thursday, May 22, 2008

Family: Cheers for my Father


Congratulations to my father, Dale, on the publication of his book Hopkinton: The Second Hundred Years. It's the history of the small town in the northernmost tip of New York state where he grew up, and just a few miles from where he still lives today.

The book is finally in print, the culmination of many years of loving effort, somehow fit in between raising six kids, teaching high school, working a small farm and holding various leadership positions in his church. I only hope I can manage the same kind of balance in my life, and pass on to my son the love of the written word that was such a huge part of growing up in my father's household.

We're all very proud of you, Dad. Can't wait to get a copy in my hands!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Way to go Dad! Shouldn't we have some kind of a party? Like a graduation party or a retirement dinner? A book signing? This is cool.

Virginia said...

I saw the book in person yesterday. It was sitting on the table with a piece of paper sticking out of it where Dad had already been making notes about publishing errors. He just can't stop editing!

The book is large and impressive and I agree that a celebratory party is in order - to congratulate both Mom and Dad for their perseverance in this project. I am so grateful for the way that they support each other. This book is just one of many manifestations of the strength of their marriage and their dedication to family.