Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Politics: Election Day!

Can't remember when I've been more excited about casting my ballot. The only thing that will top this one is pulling the lever in November.

We flossed our teeth, I waxed my ample moustaches, and we ambled down to the firehouse to do our civic duty. I in my Uncle Sam top hat, The Lovely Sophia bedecked in her Lady Liberty get-up, which she typically wears of a Tuesday anyway. Her voting card still has that new-citizenship smell, so it was a particularly special morning.

We got there and . . . Diebold! Electronic balloting. No paper trail. No receipt. Just touch the screen, hope to God it takes, and walk away (From the Source Code Review commissioned by the California Secretary of State: "Our analysis shows that the technological controls in the Diebold software do not provide sufficient security to guarantee a trustworthy election.")

VoteTrustUSA.org's top article this morning leads off this way:

"Pennsylvania's Presidential primary on April 22 will be essentially unrecountable, unverifiable, and unauditable -- an irony, because state law requires manual audits of a statistical sample of ballots cast in elections."

Heartening, isn't it? It rather sullied my otherwise capital experience.

Although I suppose that instead of waiting until today to complain, I might have done something to support an activist group like this one or this one to attempt to actually do something about it. 

For now, gonna go hang up the top hat till November and get back into my normal Tuesday wear:






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gesh,
Where do you get one of those fannypacks? AWESOME!

Cheers and peace,
Smoke

abedard said...

//Diebold election code
int main( int argc, char *argv[]){

boolean SaveWorld;

switch(arg[0])
{
case "Obama":
SaveWorld = True;
outComeOfElectionFunction(SaveWorld);
break;
case "Clinton":
SaveWorld = False;
outComeOfElectionFunction(SaveWorld);
break;

}// End Switch

return 0;

}//End Main