Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Music: The Sweetest Thing

It may be the drowziness of summer, or it may be having a small music-loving baby in the house, but lately I've been seeking out what I call "sweet" music, or "hammock" music. Not that I have a hammock. But if I did, there's a certain kind of music that I'd want to hear as I lazed about and gazed up into the treetops.

Do you know what I'm talking about? It's also good lullabye music, although it's not designed as such. No dirges, but nothing too fast-paced. Just sweet.

So, you all did so well with the pop list that now I'm asking for your candidates for sweet hammock music, music to doze off to, music for babies and for lounging adults. Any genre, as long as it's got that certain sweet.

For two examples of what I'm talking about, click here.

6 comments:

Virginia said...

Oh, Gesh, do we have something for you! I need somebody to give me your address so we can send you what bit of our welcome (over a month late!) baby package we have ready.

Maybe Friday I'll have time to add to your sweet music list.

Virginia said...

Barefoot Floors by The Wailin' Jennys is incredibly sweet and totally about having a wee baby in the house in the summertime.

Everything I've heard by The Weepies is sweet, but especially Painting by Chagal.

Cindi Lauper's Rain On Me is sweet (yes, she has just put out a new album) and a-ha's Dark is the Night For All is kinda lovely and soft.

There. I've made my contribution to the list. Where's everybody else?

Unknown said...

hey, I got one for ya!
"Night Nurse" album by Gregory Isaacs—the entire album could work for your hammock-inizing needs (you've heard it in my car once, and you really liked it, I remember you commenting on it!) Let me know if you want me to make a copy for you.
;-)

Unknown said...

got snother one for you, old Sade can work, Ngwino Rukundo reminds me a bit of her

Anonymous said...

Hands down -- "Sweetest Decline" by Beth Orton.

Can't think of anything better than that.

Anonymous said...

Okay, thought of a few more:

Baby Mine: Alison Krauss
Out of the Woods: Nickel Creek
Common Threads: Bobby McFerrin

All very sweet, in my mind