Thursday, June 12, 2008

Photos: A Portfolio of Sorts

As most of you know, I'm a writer, and by no means a photographer. However, over the past few years, I've been trying to develop some photography skills, not just for work-related reasons, but because I really love excellent photos, and I really enjoy trying to take good pictures.

In a couple of weeks, I'm heading to a fascinating and inhospitable part of Jamaica called the Cockpit Country, on an assignment for Discovery Channel Magazine. My editor asked me to do the photography as well as the reporting, and I replied that I had pretty serious reservations about my abilities as a photographer. Nevertheless, I sent him a "portfolio" of my work to let him judge for himself, and I was quite surprised at his positive reaction to my pictures.

So in the spirit of celebration, and just to kind of share, you're welcome to view the -- ahem -- portfolio -- here. You can view it as a slideshow, kind of, by clicking on the first pic and then the Next Photo tab at the top.

5 comments:

Virginia said...

Ya. You're not so bad at that.

Love that Fruit Vendor's teeth.

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed. They're all excellent but may I vote for my three favorites in order?

1. Boy on the porch.
2. Children Burning..
3. Children in fishing..

In fact I would like to purchase large framed prints of 1 & 3. I think they'd look great together on my wall (if I ever get a wall again).

It also makes me want to go with you next time. When do we leave for Jamaica?

Unknown said...

as a person who likes to take pictures to a person who likes to take pictures, I told you long time ago that you have an eye...if you keep shooting, you'll get better, and also, look at some great photographers' work for reference! There are some beautiful photos you got there...

Tim Somero said...

There is everything right about your portfolio because each photo tells a story.

I was off taking waterfall photos this morning and a Glen and I talked about photo composition.

One of my photography mentors stressed the importance of capturing a story in every photo and evoke emotion.

When I am not taking nature photos, I often think that way, 'What's the story? Where's the emotion here?'

Glen responded during our discussion, 'Well, Tim, that's the writer in you finding stories in your photos. I can't write stories. I just take tons of photos and get lucky.'

(Aside - when I listen to Glen talk, it is clear to me that he can write, but perhaps his statement is due to the frustrating transference of thought to written words that confounds him?)

My point is that whether you and I share the writerly sense of composition in our photographic efforts, I see clear stories as told through your lens.

Bravo!

And have a wonderful, enlightening, and safe voyage.

Unknown said...

You've always been pretty darn good with a camera. Own it!

My faves: Boy on porch, Rocin; Children burning plastic (that one stuck with me after I saw it the first time) and Children in fishing village.
K