Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Politics: Iraq Propaganda Revisited



I know this is something that I harp on all the time, but no, I'm still not over the infuriating and, frankly, traumatic events that led to war in Iraq. Those of us who were paying attention at the time knew we were being lied to, knew that war was inevitable, and watched as our country went collectively insane, blind to all reason.

I just finished reading a year-old transcript of a Bill Moyers program which ought to be required reading for anyone with lingering doubts about whether the establishment press failed us completely during the run-up to the war. It's a fairly succinct yet compelling re-examination of why it was eminently possible to get the story right, but why cowardice and an atmosphere of enforced patriotism caused the vast majority of the media to abandon their responsibility to ask questions. It is still rather sickening to revisit, especially since those members of the press elite who ought to have been discredited and run out of town on a rail are now receiving Medals of Freedom and getting plum gigs at top media outlets -- as experts on Middle East affairs, no less!

Little wonder that journalists are held in such base contempt by the public, or that the average American feels that the only path to wisdom lies in never believing anything one reads.

1 comment:

Gilly's Son said...

While I am no big fan of the media and would tend to agree with the general point about the media that you are making, I think Mr Moyer is, as is typical with the media, giving them a little to much credit for their ability to influence on such matters. After reading this I could not help but feel an overwhelming sense that the media did not serve their audience well..but I can't say I feel that they ever do. What is actually more disturbing to me is the 77-23 vote on the joint resolution to authorize the use of force by our elected officials. There is a nice mix of R's and D's in that list of 77. I feel they collectively let us all down. There are a few things that scare me in the document below...while their approval may not have been required..they certainly seemed to be caught up in the moment. I wonder how much political fear played a factor in these votes..not the best time to seem unpatriotic........sorry for the book of a comment

http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/warpowers925.htm